Monday 12 September 2011

So far so good.



It's been about six weeks since we took over allotment 43a, and I am amazed how things change, and yes I know we are there to grow things but when you actually see how the vegetables evolve and develop it is truly a wonder how fast the process is, and I am sure I could see the difference from one day to the next.

The spindly donated cabbages have now become large healthy and robust, and their little hearts are almost full.





The January King cabbage, has grown blue green leaves slightly ablush with purple, , the leaves are large, in my mind preparing to protect it from the worst of the winter weather, where not even a severe frost can harm it.





We have already eaten some of the spinach, grazing from the outer larger leaves ,leaving the inner leaves to continue to grow,and produce a new crop.












The Beetroot looks on the face of it to be thriving obviously, we don't know what’s going on underneath but the tops look nice and we have harvested some of the smaller leaves to add to a salad.



The Black Tuscany Kale and Borecole look healthy enough, but in all honesty I don't know what they are meant to look like, and as I've never had Kale I'm not even sure that I like it.



















The Leeks that we have grown in clumps, so far,appears to be more successful that the traditionally planted ones, but time will tell, and the lettuce are so good that I wish we planted more.




Today we have planted Winter peas and Purple Sprouting Broccoli, we also succumbed to an offer we couldn’t refuse, Quince bushes at £3 each from our local garden centre, flourishing specimens already with fruit on.




No comments:

Post a Comment